While there are a variety of reasons your BMW 528i speedometer is not working, the most common 3 are the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), a faulty speedometer, or an electrical issue.
- 1 What causes the speedometer not to work?
- 2 Can a blown fuse cause the speedometer not to work?
- 3 How do I know if my abs sensor is bad on my BMW?
- 4 Is it illegal to drive without a Speedo?
- 5 Can a bad battery cause speedometer not to work?
- 6 Which speed sensor controls speedometer?
- 7 Does the ABS sensor affect the speedometer?
- 8 What are the symptoms of a bad speed sensor?
- 9 What happens when ABS module goes bad?
- 10 Can I drive my car with a bad speed sensor?
What causes the speedometer not to work?
There are many reasons that could cause a speedometer not to work. The most common reasons do involve an electrical issue or even a problem with the speed sensor. Both issues can affect other areas of your vehicle -that are outside of your speedometer.
Can a blown fuse cause the speedometer not to work?
Faulty Fuse/Bad Wiring: In very wet conditions, it is possible for exposed wires to get wet and short out, causing a fuse to blow. When the fuse for your speedometer stops working, it can cause the speedometer to drop to zero.
How do I know if my abs sensor is bad on my BMW?
Below is an extensive list of symptoms that you may notice if your BMW wheel speed sensor is bad:
- ABS light on.
- Anti-lock braking disabled.
- DSC or ASC light on.
- Dynamic Brake Control Disabled.
- DBC Malfunction Drive Carefully.
- Intermittent speedometer failure.
- Traction control system disabled.
- Transmission going into limp mode.
Is it illegal to drive without a Speedo?
A vehicle’s speedometer must be kept free from any obstruction that may prevent it from being read and shall at all times it is used on a road be maintained in good working order. The only exceptions to this are when: The vehicle has an approved tachograph.
Can a bad battery cause speedometer not to work?
The thing is, switching out the battery or even jumpstarting a vehicle can cause an electrical spike inside of the vehicle, which basically can cause a speedometer to go berserk. Your speedometer should then work properly again!
Which speed sensor controls speedometer?
The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is also commonly referred to as a transmission speed sensor or output shaft speed sensor. It is a small device—typically mounted somewhere on the transmission—that determines how fast your vehicle is going by measuring the rotation of a toothed wheel on a shaft inside the transmission.
Does the ABS sensor affect the speedometer?
signs of a failing abs speed sensor it may also turn on the traction and stability control warning lights, if the car has those systems. occasionally, the speedometer may stop working, as well.
What are the symptoms of a bad speed sensor?
The following signs will show you if your transmission speed sensor has failed.
- Cruise Control Fails. The main function of the speed sensors is to monitor the output and input shaft speed.
- Improper Or Harsh Shifting.
- The Check Engine Light Indicates.
What happens when ABS module goes bad?
So, when an ABS control module fails, you’ll likely notice it when you’re braking heavily. A bad ABS module can behave erratically, making your brakes lock up even under normal braking. You might even notice unusual behavior from the brakes, like random clicking noises. These can also indicate ABS module failure.
Can I drive my car with a bad speed sensor?
Can you drive with a bad speed sensor? In general, it is unsafe to drive a vehicle with a broken wheel speed sensor. The car’s computer will not be able to determine the speed that your vehicle is traveling, so it might apply the brakes at a faster rate than necessary or increase the engine power.